Skip to main content

Under the Waves


Under the Waves

Lately I've been finding my equilibrium only in my quest to know who Christ is.  Not just reading about Him but reading and then asking questions.  Not just gathering information but gathering information and investigating what it's saying or describing or bearing witness to. Not just studying but studying and then sitting back to absorb the blaring reality.  I'm off kilter when I'm tunnel focused on getting through or grasping desperately for a bit of truth I can immediately apply. I'm scrambling and struggling to find my footing and form something solid to steady my floundering mind. Enough of this. I want to be stable. I want to be steady. Be still. Rest. Crave the knowing. Fixed seeking. These things fasten my thoughts and halt the reeling. These things give grounding for choosing calm, ensuing triumph in the middle of chaos. Questions don't need to override answers. Fear doesn't need to display a jagged response. Calm. Grounded. Know.

The world offers all sorts of ropes for us to grab and hold, hoping this one will save me or give me hope.  The world will also measure my experiences by popularity and validate my person through praise. These can be wonderful but they are always, ALWAYS, fleeting. Never satisfying. Never grounding. They will get me through until I feel lonely again, or am lost again, or not sure where I'm going. Then I, wild and wide eyed, beg the world for another bit of confirmation. To tell me it's all going to be okay. To tell me I'm worth it. I want to be lovely and joyful and interesting. I crave and ride in the current of validation. Only, the words are human words coming from a human heart. They are not forever words that once were, are now, and forever will be.

What would happen if I gave a steady searching in something not of this world? Someone. Someone who created the beginning and knows all about me and wants - always wills - what's best for me? What would happen if I were relentless in my search and wonder and consider? And if my focus led to a forever love? The kind of quiet, solid, embracing that no performance could earn. Does this really breathe underneath the noise of the earth and the strife of the body? The noise and the strife are simply what we do. It is the current we live in. But what is underneath? If left unsheltered, what does our heartbeat actually sound like? How does it feel to be quiet? Steady. Wait. Search Christ, His character. Embrace the creation He made you to be.

Stop the reactionary life, legitimized by the esteem or the snickers. Live underneath the noise, underneath the constant waves, where the bedrock cannot be cracked, where you are warmed by a blanket of quiet security and muffled sound, where you are royal. It's calm awakening. You cannot be tossed to and fro while living below the noise. You cannot compare, as this is personal, your God created this. His beautiful human. It's only between you and Him. With this you can wear joy. And thanks. Practice grace. And growth. Love will stream from the intentional choices.

The commotion will be constant, pulling for our questioning eyes. But God is under the motion, under the waves... inviting us to sit on his breathtaking foundation. It's not shaky so you can stand on it. It won't change so you can depend on it. It's not fleeting so you can build on it. This quiet, this grounding cannot be moved by the to and fro. Instead, it's cemented feet, standing tall, and reaching strong, above the wild beauty called life, and remains outstretched for something - someone - so much brighter and solidifying than human praise.

Search. Search above you.

Know. Uncover royal you.

Be. Restore you.

Reach. Tunnel visioned, beyond constant waves.

Trust. God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ed and Helen Zaugg

I have been longing to write this all day.  My blessed grandmother, at the beautiful age of 96, went to be with Jesus last night.  My mind floods with her memories... her and Grandpa's as they were in love, inseparable, and full of life.  My childhood is a weave of their giving and laughing and rebuking and spurring.  I vividly remember going to the nursing home that they owned and having big wheel races, doing gymnastics, singing Christmas carols, and being forced to kiss Great Grandma's cheek and it didn't matter that I was queasy at the thin, wrinkly skin or the odd smell in the room.  We were to honor and cherish and love, beyond appearances and comfort.  At the age of ten, eleven, and twelve, I got to have slumber parties  in her basement.  They had a full basement with a kitchen and a shuffle board in the tile floor.  We were never allowed in the World Relief room, which was also in the basement, where Grandpa and Grandma were forever sorting clothes, making blankets

Wasted Time

Wasted Time Keith Urban drives me crazy with all of his wasted time. I want to buy it back.  I know I had wasted time too but I at least regret it. At sixteen, time was tangible, staring, anticipated yet ticking unexpectedly by.  I didn’t feel time like I feel it now. It just was. I spent it. I almost always had purpose only because I had big goals. I experienced as much as I could in every day as I knew these experiences created parameters around my goals and gave me perspective for the next steps. I wanted to go somewhere, do something, be someone. There was a world to be discovered and I wanted to see it. Explore it. I wanted adventure! Then I was robbed. Robbed of all that expectant time. Wheelchair life is the killer of so much time. My day to day living exhausts me. It’s my morning goal to make “getting ready” happen as fast as it can so living can begin. But sometimes getting ready and a load of laundry is pretty much all I can accomplish. It is my daily frustration and

Grace Filled Gaps

Maxwell challenged me to pick an emotion and an event and just write. I did. This is also something many mommas ask me about - raising children from the confines of a wheelchair. I have the honor to do a bit of mentoring to new injuries in the Twin Cities area, mostly to moms. Moms that find themselves in a strange position going back to a busy life wondering "how". How will this look? How is it possible? I find such blessing in encouraging them in the real, meaningful, albeit extremely foreign contrast to their former lives. Here is my story... Grace Filled Gaps Discovering we were going to have a baby was an unreal joy. Shocked, with a side of smile, is a better description. We were thrilled but had whispered thoughts and hard stares at each other, "What did we do?" My nine months with Cori growing inside of me were fairly uneventful. I was sick the first three months. The second three months, I had nesting energy, nervous anticipation, and water retenti