Skip to main content

Note to Self

Note to Self

Considering. I spend way too much time considering. Considering the unfairness of life. Considering the influence I could have if I just did. Considering the vulnerability of letting my fears go. Considering all of the crazy things that can go wrong with my body. Considering my life is more than half over. Considering whether or not I completely messed up my innocent kids. These are my big "considerings". I'm not including what I'm making for dinner, or what I should add to my winter wardrobe, or how the furniture should be arranged. I still consider but these things are trivial to me. I don't have space in my brain to even hesitate over these things.


I drive myself crazy thinking, thinking, thinking. Stinking thinking. Where can considering get me? A careful, thought out plan of execution? Maybe. Crazy town? More likely. I can only control so much. My considering morphs into worry - almost every single time. What then? Anxiousness. Anxiousness over things that might be begin to drum all too real. STOP. Go back to the beginning. I know so little for certain. Work with that. No speculation. Facts and limited probabilities. Work with only that. I am only responsible for right now. Present tense. I cannot forecast nor can I adjust a past story. My considering does not create control. It is only unproductive cost. To me.

I also have no right to tomorrow. Present. I only have this current experience. Experience that will create mistakes or résumés. Experience that adds up to existing. Consciously, intentionally, acceptance, dreams, regrets. It's all in the existing. But tomorrow can only be allowed limited considering because tomorrow may not be offered.  But today. Today I have. Right this moment, I have.

Is this what a midlife crisis feels like? Or a version of it? This unbalanced mind, desperate for stable thinking, quiet yet unnervingly unsettled, second guessing, joy seeking, truth revealing, what in the world am I doing space? This is where I'm living. I'm pretty sure this is why people drink wine. Take me away. Rest. Calm. Live this moment. No regrets, no anxious tomorrow. I like wine. Wine is good.

"Good night" is my exasperated saying when I'm annoyed as if that was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. Or when someone does something stupid, I'll say "good night" and add an exaggerated eye roll to it. That's my passive aggressive way of saying something without saying anything. I say "good night" instead of "good grief" because my kids hate it. "It doesn't make sense" they say.  Well, what does?! This LIFE doesn't make sense. Good night. Good night. Good night. Moving on.... Get a grip, Jill.

I'm going to choose to grab hold my wild thoughts of existence - absorbing and cleansing and wearing what is true, what is honorable, what is just, what is pure, what is lovely, what is commendable, what is excellent, what is worthy of praise. Now, this is a lot to consider. This will not fashion frayed nerves. This can be my wine in words. True. Honorable. Just. Pure. Lovely. Commendable. Excellent. Praiseworthy.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Considering is a choice. And I will not worry by default because I'm not intentionally choosing. That, in itself, is a choice. And life is not all sunshine and rainbows so then there's this:


James 1:2-4 "Consider (ponder, think thoughtfully) it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials (various trials - those things that come from the outside, those circumstances), ..... CHOOSE to consider it joy- of many kinds, because you know (by way of experience) that the testing (trial - do I whine - or wine... haha! - or grow) of your faith produces perseverance (steadfastness, patience). Let perseverance finish its work, so that you may be mature (what is my character?) and complete (whole), not lacking anything." Purpose.

For whatever reason, I'm breathing and moving. What will I allow my mind to consider? How do I see this day? I will choose my considering. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ed and Helen Zaugg

I have been longing to write this all day.  My blessed grandmother, at the beautiful age of 96, went to be with Jesus last night.  My mind floods with her memories... her and Grandpa's as they were in love, inseparable, and full of life.  My childhood is a weave of their giving and laughing and rebuking and spurring.  I vividly remember going to the nursing home that they owned and having big wheel races, doing gymnastics, singing Christmas carols, and being forced to kiss Great Grandma's cheek and it didn't matter that I was queasy at the thin, wrinkly skin or the odd smell in the room.  We were to honor and cherish and love, beyond appearances and comfort.  At the age of ten, eleven, and twelve, I got to have slumber parties  in her basement.  They had a full basement with a kitchen and a shuffle board in the tile floor.  We were never allowed in the World Relief room, which was also in the basement, where Grandpa and Grandma were forever sorting clothes, making blankets

Wasted Time

Wasted Time Keith Urban drives me crazy with all of his wasted time. I want to buy it back.  I know I had wasted time too but I at least regret it. At sixteen, time was tangible, staring, anticipated yet ticking unexpectedly by.  I didn’t feel time like I feel it now. It just was. I spent it. I almost always had purpose only because I had big goals. I experienced as much as I could in every day as I knew these experiences created parameters around my goals and gave me perspective for the next steps. I wanted to go somewhere, do something, be someone. There was a world to be discovered and I wanted to see it. Explore it. I wanted adventure! Then I was robbed. Robbed of all that expectant time. Wheelchair life is the killer of so much time. My day to day living exhausts me. It’s my morning goal to make “getting ready” happen as fast as it can so living can begin. But sometimes getting ready and a load of laundry is pretty much all I can accomplish. It is my daily frustration and

Grace Filled Gaps

Maxwell challenged me to pick an emotion and an event and just write. I did. This is also something many mommas ask me about - raising children from the confines of a wheelchair. I have the honor to do a bit of mentoring to new injuries in the Twin Cities area, mostly to moms. Moms that find themselves in a strange position going back to a busy life wondering "how". How will this look? How is it possible? I find such blessing in encouraging them in the real, meaningful, albeit extremely foreign contrast to their former lives. Here is my story... Grace Filled Gaps Discovering we were going to have a baby was an unreal joy. Shocked, with a side of smile, is a better description. We were thrilled but had whispered thoughts and hard stares at each other, "What did we do?" My nine months with Cori growing inside of me were fairly uneventful. I was sick the first three months. The second three months, I had nesting energy, nervous anticipation, and water retenti