Skip to main content

25 Years

Twenty-seven years.  Every September, I reflect about so much.  It starts with the kids returning to school and the uninterrupted time I'm left with.  I miss them.  As a routine sets in and I find myself in familiar territory once again, the anniversary of my accident that paralyzed me, begins to cloud my mind.  It's now been twenty-seven years but at my twenty-fifth, I wrote this:



September 28, 2011

Wow.  25 years ago today.  The car accident that paralyzed me, the months of rehab in a Rochester hospital away from family and all that was familiar.  Can’t believe it’s been 25 years …. In so many ways.  Over the years, my body has taken a toll – I’m 42, after all.  My shoulder hurts, my wrists… all of the wear and tear of wheeling day after day, of getting my chair in and out of the car, of taking care of children and family.    I had a major surgery to correct my back last year.  One I’m still recovering from.  A whole year of adjustment and change.  My mobility is limited now… not able to go up slightly steep hills or pick up smashed things off the floor.  These are losses.  Griefs I’m working through. I’m tired, too.  Tired of my different life.  Tired of ALWAYS waiting.  Patience has never been my virtue.  Tired of struggling to create some normalcy within my life of obstacles.  Just tired.

I also cry.  I cry for what was lost…. Still.  I cry.  I watch around me and the busy of friends and family and completely notice my slow pace and my deliberate, thought out steps that are designed to save me time.  And they do.  But not enough.  I’m still slow.  I cry for moments missed with my kids b/c I simply couldn’t do them.  Physically impossible.  I want those moments too.  I cry.  I cry when dealing… alone… with disability issues no one close to me can truly understand.  They try.  They WANT to understand.  Experience fails them.  I’m alone… except for my God.  Who is great company by the way – in misery and in joy.  I cry as I think about my future.  The uncertainty of it and the dependence of it.  I want to rage and scream for independence but it doesn’t matter.  Dependence is here and more dependence will come.  I can’t stop it.  I’m resolute to live today b/c tomorrow scares me…. what can I squeeze in today that tomorrow probably can’t offer me?  I cry about the unfairness.  I just don’t get it… other than God must have an agenda and He NEEDS this to be a part of it...  It’s the only way I can reconcile the injustice of watching evil walking in jails and prisons.  Why little insignificant me?  Why not the child molester or serial killer that has destroyed families with their act?  Doesn’t seem fair.  And I cry about the offerings I can’t give simply b/c I can’t DO.  I SEE needs not like others.  Maybe b/c I am in the position of need.  But I see them and cannot fill them.  Frustration brings tears.

It’s a hard life.  It’s filled with agony and want and hard focus.  Oh, the honesty of my reality is heartbreaking.  God must have a reason.  I believe this.  This is my hope.  And, being in my 40’s, I’m very much aware of my mortality and how abbreviated this life is compared to the next.  I anticipate the next.  Where all is right.  Where fairness is determined and reigned by a holy God.  I want THAT.  I want to feel whole and secure and fair.  I wait for my time in eternity.  

Right here right now, I also have a need to acknowledge my many blessings. My education, my Lord, my husband, our children, our home and church…. So many blessings.  Overall, my health is good.  Who would have thought, 25 years later, my health would be good?  We laugh harder than most families, having the ability to recognize the joy that spills from deep.  Peter is almost always the instigator.  I’m glad.  He is so funny and in our simple beautiful life, we have so much to laugh about.  We are so content with a good movie or book.  With a puzzle in the winter.  With hot cocoa and card games.  With a splash in the pool or a bbq with great friends.  Our simplicity and appreciation files down to contentedness.  In this, our life is rich.
I’m dazed by where the Lord has brought me.  Who would have thought I’d be sitting in the middle of this beautiful family, watching it grow up to become its own structure of influence.  Sometimes, it’s hard to focus on the difficult as my unique circumstances have brought about so much life.  So much to be thankful for.  This space of time we occupy, create, and fill is but a spasm compared to eternity .  So I choose to invest my little insignificant self into what’s eternal.  Encouraging words.  Grace.  Empathy.  Hospitality. Truth.  How we treat each other matters.  We ARE influential.  With action or words.  What we say can create or destroy. Powerful.  What will I choose?  Will I wallow or build up?  I know God won’t waste my words.  And we all have words, despite our limitations.  If this is the only thing my day produces, I use it… as it is a gift to be able to.  And I am blessed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ed and Helen Zaugg

I have been longing to write this all day.  My blessed grandmother, at the beautiful age of 96, went to be with Jesus last night.  My mind floods with her memories... her and Grandpa's as they were in love, inseparable, and full of life.  My childhood is a weave of their giving and laughing and rebuking and spurring.  I vividly remember going to the nursing home that they owned and having big wheel races, doing gymnastics, singing Christmas carols, and being forced to kiss Great Grandma's cheek and it didn't matter that I was queasy at the thin, wrinkly skin or the odd smell in the room.  We were to honor and cherish and love, beyond appearances and comfort.  At the age of ten, eleven, and twelve, I got to have slumber parties  in her basement.  They had a full basement with a kitchen and a shuffle board in the tile floor.  We were never allowed in the World Relief room, which was also in the basement, where Grandpa and Grandma were forever sorting clothes, making blankets

Wasted Time

Wasted Time Keith Urban drives me crazy with all of his wasted time. I want to buy it back.  I know I had wasted time too but I at least regret it. At sixteen, time was tangible, staring, anticipated yet ticking unexpectedly by.  I didn’t feel time like I feel it now. It just was. I spent it. I almost always had purpose only because I had big goals. I experienced as much as I could in every day as I knew these experiences created parameters around my goals and gave me perspective for the next steps. I wanted to go somewhere, do something, be someone. There was a world to be discovered and I wanted to see it. Explore it. I wanted adventure! Then I was robbed. Robbed of all that expectant time. Wheelchair life is the killer of so much time. My day to day living exhausts me. It’s my morning goal to make “getting ready” happen as fast as it can so living can begin. But sometimes getting ready and a load of laundry is pretty much all I can accomplish. It is my daily frustration and

Grace Filled Gaps

Maxwell challenged me to pick an emotion and an event and just write. I did. This is also something many mommas ask me about - raising children from the confines of a wheelchair. I have the honor to do a bit of mentoring to new injuries in the Twin Cities area, mostly to moms. Moms that find themselves in a strange position going back to a busy life wondering "how". How will this look? How is it possible? I find such blessing in encouraging them in the real, meaningful, albeit extremely foreign contrast to their former lives. Here is my story... Grace Filled Gaps Discovering we were going to have a baby was an unreal joy. Shocked, with a side of smile, is a better description. We were thrilled but had whispered thoughts and hard stares at each other, "What did we do?" My nine months with Cori growing inside of me were fairly uneventful. I was sick the first three months. The second three months, I had nesting energy, nervous anticipation, and water retenti